|Avoiding Medicare Fraud and Abuse: A Roadmap for Physicians (March 2012)
This web-based training course is designed to provide education on fraud and abuse related to physicians. It includes definitions, laws exclusions, Civil Monetary Penalties, case examples, and resources.
This activity is designed for a physician target audience.
The goal of this activity is to educate physicians about Medicare fraud and abuse..
Authors and Disclosures
No one in a position to control the content of this activity has anything to disclose. All planners and developers of this activity have signed a disclosure statement indicating that they have no relevant financial interests. This activity was developed without commercial support.
Please click here for biographical data on the developers of this activity
Upon completion of this activity participants should be able to:
- Recognize the definitions of Medicare fraud and abuse;
- Identify an action prohibited by the False Claims Act (FCA);
- Identify an action prohibited by the Anti-Kickback Statute;
- Identify an action prohibited by the Physician Self-Referral Law (Stark Law), unless an exception applies;
- Recognize an action for which an individual or entity could be excluded from participation in Federal health programs under the Exclusion Statute;
- Recognize an action for which an individual or entity could be assessed a fine under the Civil Monetary Penalties (CMP) Law; and
- Identify situations, involving physician relationships with payers, fellow providers, and vendors, in which the fraud and abuse laws may be violated.
ACCME The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Credit for this course expires March 28, 2015.
Professional Association Continuing Education Credit Assignments
Please click here for professional association CE credit assignments
Please click here for accreditation statements
Instructions for Participation and Credit
Please click here for participation and credit requirements
Please click here for hardware and software requirements
For questions regarding the content of this activity, or for technical assistance contact the Medicare Learning Network at MLN@cms.hhs.gov via e-mail.
AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM is a trademark of the American Medical Association.